Agency is something that, in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, we learn about from a very young age. It’s the idea that when Heavenly Father sent us to Earth, he gave us the ability to choose for ourselves how we wanted to act and what we wanted to think about the way we conduct ourselves.
As a kid, I used to think “Well duh, of course we make our own choices…” But there’s so much more to it than that, and it’s something I still have yet to completely wrap my head around to this day. If you’re struggling to deal with the way the people in your life are acting, whether it’s your children, spouse, in-laws, whoever, this episode should put things into perspective for you.
Join me on the podcast this week to discover what other people having agency really means, and how you can flip some of the negative thoughts you have about other people’s actions. Our world would not be the same if people didn’t have agency, so it’s time we took a close look at it so we can use it in our favor, instead of thinking of ourselves as the victim of other people.
As well as ASK JODY ANYTHING, I’m hosting a couple of webinars over the next few weeks around dealing with anxiety and how to deal with loved ones questioning or leaving the church. Click here to find out more.
What You’ll Learn on this Episode:
- Why agency truly is a gift from God.
- How agency makes our lives richer, but also makes our life harder in some ways.
- Why I’m so grateful to have been taught about agency from a young age.
- How, because they have agency, other people are circumstances in your models.
- Why we know that people are supposed to exercise their agency, even if it is to choose the “wrong.”
- How to turn-around your thoughts when you’re struggling with other people exercising their agency.
Mentioned on the Show:
- Byron Katie
- Corinne Crabtree
- Come hang out with me in Utah at Better Than Happy Live! I’ll be there in September to spend a whole day with you, give you a taste of coaching, and record a live podcast all about how to create a deliberate future.
- Be Bold
- Join me for the next Ask Jody Anything coaching call!
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!