Navigating a faith crisis is a tough time. It’s challenging for the person going through it and it’s difficult for the people around them to process. In my work, I deal with concerned family members and friends who have somebody in their life going through this, and it can be really tricky on both sides.
Today, I have my sister-in-law Amanda Voelker on the show. Amanda is Relief Society President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Shanghai, China. Being in such a small community overseas, Amanda has had a lot of experience in researching and helping people navigate their way through questioning aspects of our church and their faith.
Join us on the show this week as we discuss what contributes to people distancing themselves from The Church and what they’re really going through. You’ll discover why questioning your faith is not the evil we sometimes consider it to be, and why, if somebody you love is going through a faith transformation or perceived crisis, that is not the end of their journey with Heavenly Father. Oftentimes, it’s just the beginning, and there are things you can do to help them through.
As well as ASK JODY ANYTHING, I’m hosting a couple of webinars over the next few weeks around dealing with anxiety and how to deal with loved ones questioning or leaving the church. Click here to find out more.
What You’ll Learn on this Episode:
- Why an increase in disassociation from the church is not the world becoming more wicked, but rather a chance to readdress issues within the church.
- What Amanda sees as contributing factors to questioning the church.
- Why a faith crisis can occur as we get older because of how we approach our relationship with Heavenly Father when we are young.
- How discomfort presents itself when you’re processing change in your faith, or any area of your life.
- Why faith becomes stronger by questioning rather than just ignoring the negative thoughts that come up.
- The elements of our human experience that limit our ability to look at God objectively.
- Why your faith crisis is between you and God and you can’t rely on anyone Earthly to solve it for you.
- How you can be there for a friend or loved one if they’re going through a crisis stage with their faith.
Mentioned on the Show:
- Come hang out with me in Utah at Better Than Happy Live! I’ll be there in September to spend a whole day with you, give you a taste of coaching, and record a live podcast all about how to create a deliberate future.
- Be Bold
- Join me for the next Ask Jody Anything coaching call!
- Navigating Mormon Faith Crisis by Thomas McConkie
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!