Whenever there’s an issue in life, we think we know what the real problem is. It’s the way our husband is acting. Or how rude our boss is. Or how crazy our children are acting after we’ve had a long, stressful day. Whatever is going on, the real problem, we think, is outside of us.
If you’re in this boat, then you think the real problem is the situation. But, as my guest and I are here to tell you today, the real problem isn’t the circumstance – it’s your thoughts about the circumstance.
Today my sister and fellow podcaster Natalie Clay joins me to talk about why all of our problems are, at their root, thought problems. We talk about why it’s so tempting to think that our situation is the problem – rather than our thoughts about the situation – and how to start shifting away from this mindset.
And we give you some examples of how to apply this thinking when dealing, for instance, with your spouse. This fits perfectly with Natalie’s new podcast, Couples Coaching with Natalie Clay, and gives us a useful, real-world example for demonstrating how this concept can have a meaningful impact on your life and relationships.
Join me for the next ASK JODY ANYTHING! Come with your biggest challenge or question. Leave with answers and tools. Grab your spot today!
What You’ll Learn on this Episode:
- What we think the “real” problem is and why we’re usually wrong.
- The connection between our thoughts, feelings, and actions.
- Why our thoughts about our circumstances are usually the source of our stress or upset.
- An example of a thought problem using the circumstance of a critical spouse.
- Some thoughts that might be more useful than the ones you may currently be thinking.
- Why you shouldn’t use this new awareness of your feelings against yourself.
Mentioned on the Show:
- Come hang out with me in Seattle at Better Than Happy Live! I’ll be there in June to spend a whole day with you, give you a taste of coaching, and record a live podcast all about how to create a deliberate future.
- Natalie Clay | Couples Coaching with Natalie Clay
- Join me for the next Ask Jody Anything coaching call!
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!