Anxiety is a subject that comes up a lot. I get questions about it from my clients regularly, but it’s something that is coming up increasingly when I talk to younger people as well. Anxiety has become something of a buzzword lately and people’s thoughts about it can really hold them back.
When I was a kid, I remember finding any excuse I could to get out of going to recess for fear of being ignored by the other kids. Looking back, I think of that as just being a shy child, but I’ve come to realize that this is now being categorized as social anxiety. But how much are all these labels really helping?
It’s clear to me that, with all the modern conveniences we have at our fingertips these days, our intolerance for discomfort has dropped dramatically over the past couple of decades. With our inability to tolerate discomfort, how is that affecting how we perceive our mental health?
Join me on the podcast this week for a frank discussion about anxiety, how it shows up for us, when we need to be concerned, and where there might be something we can do about it with a little self-coaching.
As well as ASK JODY ANYTHING, I’m hosting a couple of webinars over the next few weeks around dealing with anxiety and how to deal with loved ones questioning or leaving the church. Click here to find out more.
What You’ll Learn on this Episode:
- What physical factors in your life might be contributing to increased anxiety.
- Why stigma around anxiety medication may be leaving you to suffer unnecessarily.
- How thought work, with or without medication, is what I see as the most effective treatment for anxiety.
- Why, I believe, anxiety is more prevalent than ever before, especially in younger people.
- What has contributed to our intolerance of discomfort and impatience as a species.
- How what we know as anxiety is simply a normal part of the human experience.
- 3 steps to allow and feel your feelings instead of trying to escape them.
Mentioned on the Show:
- Come hang out with me in Utah at Better Than Happy Live! I’ll be there in September to spend a whole day with you, give you a taste of coaching, and record a live podcast all about how to create a deliberate future.
- Be Bold
- Join me for the next Ask Jody Anything coaching call!
- Lindsay Buchan
- The Alison Show
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!