Relationships play a huge role in our lives and they impact our overall state of wellbeing, but they also bring us a lot of suffering when we don’t know how to navigate them in a healthy way. A lot of my coaching revolves around this natural human thing that all of us do where we have expectations of the people in our lives. This is what we call a “manual” in the coaching world and this picture that we have about how people should be develops way before those relationships even form.
Have you noticed that people aren’t good at being who we think they should be? Other people are really only good at being themselves, and holding onto your manuals, expecting others to be who you want them to be is causing you unnecessary suffering. Believing someone should be different than they are can feel like we’re looking out for them, just wanting them to be what we deem to be their best selves, but what you aren’t seeing is the pain you’re inflicting on yourself in the process.
Join me on the podcast this week as I highlight how you might be punishing yourself by holding onto your manuals, and why releasing them is the key to having happier, healthier relationships with everybody in your life. I’m also outlining the difference between expectation pain and clean pain, and how Christ is the perfect example of what being a human means.
Don’t forget to grab the Podcast Roadmap if you haven’t already! It will walk you through the episodes that will get you up to speed on everything that I teach here.
What You’ll Learn on this Episode:
- What having a “manual” for someone means.
- How we punish ourselves with our manuals.
- Why you need to drop expectations of other people and who you think they should be.
- The lie we tell ourselves around our expectations of other people.
- What clean pain means.
- How I help my clients release their manuals.
- Why dropping out of self-righteousness and judgment is key to having healthy relationships.
Mentioned on the Show:
- When you’re ready to take what you’re learning on the podcast to the 10X level, then come check out Be Bold.
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!