It’s summer, and that means a lot of us are taking the kids and going to visit our family of origin. Now, this is an incredibly important time to manage our thoughts and expectations because – and I understand this – a lot of you will be dreading this family reunion. But why is that?
As this occasion approaches, we’re filled with thoughts we think are good-natured, from hoping your brother doesn’t do anything stupid, to simply wishing your mother enjoys herself. These thoughts seem harmless and focused on ensuring everyone has a good time. However, these thoughts are more damaging than they seem.
Tune in this week as I share how to take the pressure off of yourself in family gathering situations. I’m sharing how you can go from fearing the worst about how everyone else is going to enjoy themselves to simply having a great time yourself and appreciating your family for who they are, misbehavior and dysfunction included.
As well as ASK JODY ANYTHING, I’m hosting a couple of webinars over the next few weeks around dealing with anxiety and how to deal with loved ones questioning or leaving the church. Click here to find out more.
What You’ll Learn on this Episode:
- What unhelpful thoughts I hear most from my clients when a family reunion is approaching.
- How what we see as precautionary thoughts are actually only going to make it harder to have a good time.
- Why we try and control other people’s experiences at times like these.
- The circumstance and reason for which it is okay to go out of your way to accommodate others, and when it is not actually helpful.
- Why trying to accommodate everybody is doomed to failure.
- What you can choose to think about your family, instead of experiencing unnecessary negativity.
Mentioned on the Show:
- Come hang out with me in Seattle at Better Than Happy Live! I’ll be there in June to spend a whole day with you, give you a taste of coaching, and record a live podcast all about how to create a deliberate future.
- Join me for the next Ask Jody Anything coaching call!
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!