I love setting big, impossible goals. They allow me to blow my own mind, dream big, and contribute to the world. And they’re just plain fun. But many people will never achieve an impossible goal, or even attempt to set one in the first place.
The human brain is a complex organ made up of two systems: the lower brain, which is kind of a like a toddler and very focused on keeping you safe, fed, and happy; and the higher brain, which is the wise, adult part of your brain that wants to plan for the future. If you want to achieve impossible goals, you have to understand and work with your brain’s natural structure rather than fighting against it.
This episode is all about how you can achieve your impossible goals by envisioning your future self. But before that, I share seven of the biggest reasons why people don’t achieve their goals and how you can avoid those pitfalls. Some of them are tricky, but if you try the future self exercise I walk you through, you can use your future self as a guide to becoming who you are meant to be and achieving all that you are meant to do.
Join me for the next ASK JODY ANYTHING! Come with your biggest challenge or question. Leave with answers and tools. Grab your spot today!
What You’ll Learn on this Episode:
- Why so few people achieve – or even set – impossible goals.
- Some excellent reasons for setting and achieving your impossible goals.
- Why you shouldn’t set goals only to prove your worth or to give yourself permission to believe you’re amazing.
- Seven thoughts people use to convince themselves they’re not capable of reaching their impossible goals (and why you shouldn’t believe them).
- How you can envision your future self in order to reach your impossible goals.
- Why consulting your future self about what your present self could and should do is a great way to become who you really want to be.
Mentioned on the Show:
- Come hang out with me in Seattle at Better Than Happy Live! I’ll be there in June to spend a whole day with you, give you a taste of coaching, and record a live podcast all about how to create a deliberate future. My Utah date in April is all sold out, so hurry and grab your tickets!
- Join me for the next Ask Jody Anything coaching call!
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!