The concept I’m sharing today is based in what Simon Sinek teaches in his book The Infinite Game, which is geared towards business owners, but this work is very easy to apply to all areas of your life. We’re going to be relating this concept to your family, specifically your spouses and children.
A lot of people I coach are concerned that they’re not getting the results they want for their family. This could be their kids’ grades or their performance in sports, their extracurricular activities, or their family members being active in the church. Alongside those, we have our values, which are the reasons we desire the results we want. And you would think that one would result in the other, but that is not always the case.
Join me on this episode as I discuss the relationship between our values and our results, how to spot a separation of results and values, and which one of these areas we should be trying to nurture if it’s becoming clear that we can’t have both.
I’m doing a live webinar in January on why goals are unnecessary. So, if you’ve been setting New Year’s resolutions all your life and they’re not working out, then it might be time to try a different approach. Click here to join me on the next Ask Jody Anything call.
What You’ll Learn on this Episode:
- Why it’s so hard, as parents, not to get hung up on results.
- How our values play into our decisions and expectations around our family.
- What disparity between values and results looks like in a family dynamic.
- Why trying to follow through on our values without analyzing why we follow them is counterproductive.
- The different matchups between results and values, which ones are desirable, and which ones aren’t.
- How to handle a situation if it appears your family’s values and desired results are not aligned.
- What we can do to actively encourage our family values in our children.
Mentioned on the Show:
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!