How to be a good parent and how to discipline kids are two topics that come up a lot in my coaching. There are many emotions tied up with raising children, and discipline especially can bring up a lot of negativity and overwhelm for parents.
When we think about what it means to be a good parent, we have to make sure we define parenting correctly. Instead of measuring our success by judging how our kids turn out, we have to look at ourselves to judge whether or not we’re being good parents. And, ideally, a good parent is parenting from a place of love and righteousness – not stress, anger, and overwhelm. I’m not perfect at this (what parent is?), but it’s an incredibly useful barometer for our actions.
I’m digging into parenting and discipline on this episode and sharing a framework for teaching and leading your children. I talk about what we should focus on as parents, how rewards and consequences can affect behavior, and how to set expectations in your household. Discipline doesn’t have to be complicated – it just has to be rooted in love.
Join me for the next ASK JODY ANYTHING! Come with your biggest challenge or question. Leave with answers and tools. Grab your spot today!
What You’ll Learn on this Episode:
- Some of the negative emotions that come up when we talk about discipline.
- What it means to be a good parent.
- Why parenting isn’t about controlling or manipulating our kids to be what we want them to be.
- How to keep love and righteousness at the front of your mind when disciplining kids.
- Why parenting isn’t about cause and effect, but about putting in our very best effort regardless of the outcome.
- How rewards and consequences affect human behavior and how this plays into parenting and discipline.
- Three steps for leading people, including your kids and your family.
Mentioned on the Show:
- Come hang out with me in Seattle at Better Than Happy Live! I’ll be there in June to spend a whole day with you, give you a taste of coaching, and record a live podcast all about how to create a deliberate future. My Utah date in April is all sold out, so hurry and grab your tickets!
- The Life Coach School
- Be Bold Program
- Follow me on Instagram!
- 167. Successful Parenting
- The Family: A Proclamation to the World
- Love & Logic Parenting Resources
- Join me for the next Ask Jody Anything coaching call!
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!