I’ve been wanting to talk about a particular emotion that comes up a lot in my coaching: relief. Relief is the emotion we feel when we finally relax after feeling stressed, tense, tight, or under pressure. Many of my clients talk about wanting to feel relief from something, typically a negative emotion or a stressful circumstance.
I’m breaking down relief in this episode and talking about why it’s important to really examine what it is you want relief from. Often, we’re creating stress for ourselves with our thoughts about external circumstances and that’s why we want relief. We think that by changing the thing that’s making us worried, unhappy, or stressed, we’ll finally feel relieved. But relief is often much closer than we think.
Listen in as I share some stories about clients who have been seeking relief, what I recommended for them, and what I want you to think about when you’re feeling negative emotions that make you want to seek relief. We’ll also talk about dirty emotions versus clean emotions, locating your emotions in your body, and why joy is the ultimate form of relief.
Like what you heard on today’s show? Join me this week for one of my free webinars! I’ll be answering your questions, talking about how to stop emotionally eating, sharing the secrets of successful mompreneurs, and so much more. I’m also hosting my first-ever, live, public coaching call – come join us!
What You’ll Learn on this Episode:
- Why you should examine what you want relief from before you try to seek it.
- How we seek relief from “dirty” negative emotions, while “clean” negative emotions are a relief in themselves.
- How to feel relief even when things aren’t going the way you wanted or expected them to go.
- Why we often layer negative emotions on top of each other (e.g. “I’m stressed about being worried all the time!”) rather than simply allowing ourselves to feel our negative emotions.
- How to move from a neutral emotion like relief to a positive emotion like joy or peace without having to change your external circumstances.
Mentioned on the Show:
- Come hang out with me in Seattle at Better Than Happy Live! I’ll be there in June to spend a whole day with you, give you a taste of coaching, and record a live podcast all about how to create a deliberate future. My Utah date in April is all sold out, so hurry and grab your tickets!
- Join me for one (or more!) of my free webinars this week!:
- Or join me on a live, public coaching call!
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!