One of the big things I see a lot of people in the LDS community struggle with is when their loved ones start to question the church. I’ve talked about this before, but this week I have the perfect guest with experience from the other side of the situation to shed some light on this often touchy subject.
Thomas McConkie is descended from very prominent members of the church. However, even within this deeply devoted LDS family, he was brought up around and exposed to two completely different approaches to the gospel. At the age of just 13, he decided to stop attending church. For some parents, that is their worst nightmare, but stick with us here because his story is incredibly enlightening.
Listen in on our discussion today as Thomas shares how he left the church and went on a journey of self-development that, in the end, brought him closer to God than he could have ever seen coming. Thomas has some incredible insights about our development through adulthood, as well as the power of combining mindfulness and faith.
As well as ASK JODY ANYTHING, I’m hosting a couple of webinars over the next few weeks around dealing with anxiety and how to deal with loved ones questioning or leaving the church. Click here to find out more.
What You’ll Learn on this Episode:
- How Thomas’s faith struggle began at the tender age of 13.
- The standoff that ensued, coming from such a highly regarded family within the church.
- What this experience taught Thomas about interfering with God’s plan.
- How Thomas discovered he hadn’t closed the door on God, despite looking elsewhere for spiritual meaning.
- What was missing, as Thomas can best describe it, during the years he spent away from the LDS church.
- Why your path of salvation is unique and everything that contributes to making you a devoted disciple of the Heavenly Father is not necessarily listed in the scriptures.
- Thomas’s advice for how to handle yourself when you have loved ones who are questioning the church.
Mentioned on the Show:
- Navigating Mormon Faith Crisis by Thomas McConkie
- Lower Lights
- Be Bold
- Join me for the next Ask Jody Anything coaching call!
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!