When it comes to certain aspects of our lives, there are things that we enjoy, and they’re okay in moderation, but they become problematic for us in excess. However, our brains resist this idea. When something tastes good, our brain wants more and more, and it doesn’t care about how unhealthy it is, the cost, or any of that stuff. It just wants it.
Food is an obvious example, but our brains working in this way create habits in so many areas of our lives: shopping, social media, you name it. And if we don’t take the time to look at what’s going on, we can end up in trouble. So, what’s the solution? Would it be better to abstain or to moderate in these areas? Well, if you’re struggling with this decision, you’re in the right place.
Tune in this week as I discuss the idea of abstinence versus moderation, and I’m basing this conversation around an idea that I learned from the author Gretchen Rubin. I’m discussing the pros and cons of both abstinence and moderation, and how you can decide which one is the best approach for you.
If you don’t currently have a life coach, I would be so honored to be yours. I created a virtual coaching program called Be Bold that I want to invite you to join me in. We have group coaching, individual private coaching, and online chats along with hundreds of hours of courses and content that I’ve created just for you. If you’re ready to take this work to the 10X level, click here to check it out!
Towards the end of this summer, I will be launching my business coaching program, Business Minded. To get on the interest list for when the doors open, click here.
What You’ll Learn on this Episode:
- How our primitive brain processes those things that feel amazing in the moment, but aren’t good for us in excess.
- Why people who abstain will always tell you abstaining is the solution and the arguments that people who have mastered moderation will give you.
- The importance of not indulging in shame around overindulging.
- Why neither abstinence nor moderation is going to be the perfect solution for everyone.
- How I view this in my own life, and how to decide what the best approach is for you.
Mentioned on the Show:
- When you’re ready to take what you’re learning on the podcast to the 10X level, then come check out Be Bold.
- If you’re a coach who is already certified through The Life Coach School, I want to help you take your coaching to the next level. Interested? Get on the waitlist here.
- Follow me on Instagram!
- Grab the Podcast Roadmap!
- Gretchen Rubin: Website | Happier Podcast
- The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
- The Four Tendencies by Gretchen Rubin
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!