Storytelling is a great tool for sharing anything in your life. We can use it to teach our kids, other members of the church, and we can use stories to convey how we’re feeling to the people that we love. The world would be a pretty dull place if we didn’t have storytelling to communicate.
So, on the podcast this week, I have storytelling expert Matthew Dicks on the show to talk about the art of storytelling and how to keep an audience engaged. Matthew is a fifth-grade teacher, the author of Storyworthy, and a coach, so he’s the perfect person to discuss this topic with.
Listen in on our conversation as Matthew shares his insights into what makes a great and engaging story, where people often go wrong when sharing their stories, and his specific tips for beginners. Stay tuned until the end to hear Matthew in action sharing a tale of his own with us.
As well as ASK JODY ANYTHING, I’m hosting a couple of webinars over the next few weeks around dealing with anxiety and how to deal with loved ones questioning or leaving the church. Click here to find out more.
What You’ll Learn on this Episode:
- Why storytelling is such an incredibly important tool for teaching anything to anybody.
- The most common mistakes people make when they’re telling a story.
- What single aspect can make a story great.
- How to keep your audience engaged.
- Matthew’s tips for crafting a story as a beginner.
- The power of vulnerability and saying the hard things.
Mentioned on the Show:
- Leading Saints Podcast
- Matthew Dicks: Website | Podcast
- Storyworthy by Matthew Dicks
- TEDxBerkshires: Homework for Life
- Speak Up Storytelling
- Join me for the next Ask Jody Anything coaching call!
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!