Emotional eating is a topic that brings up a lot of emotions whenever I talk about it. This makes sense – many of us use food as a way to cope with both negative and positive emotions. That’s right: we might emotionally eat not only when we’re sad or overwhelmed, but also when we’re experiencing positive emotions like spending time with family or celebrating work accomplishments.
If eating is a source of pleasure for you, there’s nothing wrong with that. But if you think your emotional eating is causing a problem for you, it may be worth examining your emotional eating more closely. In this episode, I’m sharing three things you should do if you want to observe your emotional eating and three things you shouldn’t do.
I talk about the importance of witnessing your eating habits without judgment, feeling your feelings, and planning out what you’re going to eat. I also discuss some of the emotional eating habits I’ve observed in myself as I’ve done this work and how I’ve come to love and accept my body exactly as it is. Losing weight shouldn’t be about trying to conform to some external standard of how your body should look. It should be a vehicle for leveling-up your relationship with yourself and your life.
Like what you heard on today’s show? Join me this week for one of my free webinars! I’ll be answering your questions, sharing the secrets of successful mompreneurs, and so much more. I’m also hosting my first-ever, live, public coaching call – come join us!
What You’ll Learn on this Episode:
- Why it’s so common to use food as a way to deal with emotions.
- Whether or not food is supposed to be pleasurable.
- How to bring nonjudgmental awareness to your eating habits and notice whether you eat in response to positive or negative emotions.
- Why I recommend that you plan out what you are going to eat before mealtime rolls around.
- How a dieting mentality can actually detract from the weight loss process and your relationship with yourself.
- Why you shouldn’t expect the weight loss process to be easy or linear.
Mentioned on the Show:
- Come hang out with me in Seattle at Better Than Happy Live! I’ll be there in June to spend a whole day with you, give you a taste of coaching, and record a live podcast all about how to create a deliberate future. My Utah date in April is all sold out, so hurry and grab your tickets!
- Ep 176. Transitions
- Join me for one (or more!) of my free webinars this week!
- Or join me on a live, public coaching call!
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!